Nationally, the North East has experienced the highest rise in unemployment and the highest funding cuts to local authorities. The region also has the highest proportion of public sector workers, highest number of children living in poverty at 30-52%, highest rate of alcohol-related deaths and the highest rates of people experiencing mental health problems (ONS and NHS).
With extreme need comes extreme potential. The opportunities for social workers here are vast and varied, and no one day will be the same as the next.
- Approximately 43,000 children living within the North East are identified as being in need; of these 45% are registered under the category of abuse or neglect. Currently 3,300 children are subject to child protection plans (Child in Need Census 2016 – 17).
- One third of all children supported by the local authority have their cases open for two years or longer.
- 1 in 4 children in the North East live in poverty, compared to 1 in 5 nationwide (North East Child Poverty Commission).
- Middleborough has the 8th highest level of child poverty in the UK out of every local authority, and Westgate in Newcastle has the 3rd highest rate for a parliamentary constituency (End Child Poverty 2016).
- One third of care leavers are not in education, employment or training (UK GOV 2016).
The cities within our region complement each other well, with both historic grandeur and modern innovation. As university towns, they are well equipped to accommodate and entertain young people. The living costs in the North East are some of the lowest in the country, with rent prices ranging from £220 to £400 per month for a standard single room.
Transport links throughout the region are excellent with local and national rail networks easily accessible. We also have several local and international airports.
Key benefits of living in the region
- Proud, passionate and engaging communities
- Affordable rent
- Beautiful beaches, hills and countryside are just a short drive from most towns and cities in the region
- The North East has a buzzing cultural scene with an array of museums, galleries, theatres, pubs, clubs and restaurants
- World class music venues which cater to every taste
- Access to international sporting venues, and leisure facilities for all levels of interest and ability
Participants in the region
We will be placing around 40 participants from our 2017 Cohort in local authorities across the region.