With such a broad geographical location, there are many complex and varied issues across the local authorities that we work with. These include gang-related violence, child sexual exploitation, drug and alcohol abuse, domestic violence, honour-based violence, female genital mutilation, and significant disparities between the richest and poorest families. The need for dedicated and dynamic social workers in this region is enormous.
We are confident that you will find it rewarding and challenging living and working in the capital. London will provide you with experiences that allow you to develop the skills to be an effective, knowledgeable and empathic social work practitioner.
- In Greater London 134,820 children were in need throughout 2015 – 16 (UK GOV 2016).
- 81% of children in need in Greater London did not achieve 5 A*- C grades at GCSE including English and Maths (UK GOV 2016).
- Over 1 in 20 looked after children in Greater London have been convicted of a crime before their 18th birthday (UK GOV 2016).
- London contains 11 of the top 20 local authorities with the highest rates of child poverty across the UK (End Child Poverty 2016).
- Over 1 in 15 looked after children in inner London have been identified as having a substance misuse problem (UK GOV 2016).