There are approximately 175,000 children in the Midlands living in poverty according to the Children’s Society. In some areas, over 50% of children live in poverty. Working here, you will encounter a broad range of cultures, languages, and traditions, and will have the opportunity to influence positive change for the children and young people in a resourceful, creative and conscientious manner.
- 86% of children in need in the Midlands did not achieve 5 or more A* – C grades at GCSE including English and Maths (UK GOV 2016).
- Over 50% of children are living in poverty in parts of the Midlands (Children’s Society 2017).
- 360 looked after children were identified as having a substance misuse problem (UK GOV 2016).
- There were 146,150 children in need living across the Midlands in 2015 – 16 (UK GOV 2016).
- Over a third of care leavers are not in education, employment or training (UK GOV 2016).